Vegan Adventures :: “Beef” Stew
Beef Stew is one of my favorite dishes that my Mom makes and I love dearly! It was especially amazing on those cold winter days growing up in Maine - who doesn’t love a good beef stew? - Really!…Now eating a Vegan diet the traditional stew just won’t do (cheesy rhyming love it).
So I challenged her to create her amazing stew, but ex-nay on the animal products and she delivered something even more amazing than the real thing!! I bring you my Mom’s recipe for Vegan “Beef” Stew:
Serves: 4-6 people
Units: US | Metric
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary , minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces vegan beef , strips or chunks, thawed (vegan ground beef)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 4 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth or 4 ½ cups broth
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine
- 1/2 red pepper
- 3 carrots , cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb red potatoes , cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ lb mushroom , cut in half (brown or cremini)
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add the “beef” and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a 4 to 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, “beef” mixture and cook, stirring consistently, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock, wine, and mushrooms. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots, potato and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the corn, stirring until the corn is heated through.